Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Tuesday February 11 2014 10 pm 39 degrees

The continual bad weather has forced us to seek entertainment indoors  which  got us to the Brownsville  Cultural Arts center this week.
As I have said before, I am not able to understand art, ....modern or otherwise, .....but this sculpture on the lawn of the Arts center made me laugh so I thought maybe there is hope for me, artwise.

Well, that thought  started to fade as I was looking at these bronze sculptures also  in front of the building
So I read up on the sculptor..this is what I read:
                                
                      The sculptures of Jorge Marín reflect in bronze the intrinsic strength
 and force that emanates from its creation and
                                 permits him to construct dynamic bodies, full of movement,
                             which challenge gravity and rotate in space supported on one point.

                                      His work represents the struggle between the coldness
                                   of bronze and the diverse emotions that his subject's evocate:
                                  the perfect balance of the equilibrists, and his winged figures has
 become his particular seal.

Huh?

One thing I do know, his model had arthritis because his toes are just like my arthritic left foot.


In the same area is this untitled....what?  Mummy?  (The one on the right)
Ah, but inside the museum is a traveling exhibit of the artifacts from King Tutankhamen's burial sight.  This is the third of three coffins and actually held the mummified remains of the king.
We were not allowed to use flash in the museum so most of the exhibits were not well lit enough for me  to take photos.
These are the canopic jars which held the king's vitals:
The jackal head represents the east and contains the stomach.
The falcon head represents the west and contains the intestines.
The baboon head represents the north and contains the  lungs.
The human head  represents the south and contains the liver.
There were also paintings there, this one is Nefertiti asking Thoth  his magic powers
And here she is getting the keys to the netherworld.  

This was untitled but if I were to guess, I would title it 
"Watch the hands, Buster"
There were lots of school children .  This one might have been a little nearsighted

Maybe I don't understand it all, but seeing good art does makes one spread one's wings a little.





No comments:

Post a Comment